10018078 Academic Advisor I
Company: Inside Higher Ed
Posted on: April 10, 2021
School/Department: School of Business Primary Location: Cochran
Position: Staff Job Type: Full Time Position Close Date: Until
Filled Description:JOB SUMMARY: This position performs integrated
academic advisement that supports student retention and graduation
for prospective and current students by guiding the student through
data informed decision processes. This is a continuous and
consistent process which is built upon the basis of accurate
communication and consistent personal contacts between the advisor
and advisee. The position requires some evening and weekend work
and may require some travel to other campuses when requested. MAJOR
- Assist and accurately guide students in defining and developing
realistic educational career plans through academic schedule
planning (mapping the curriculum) for each semester.
- Advise students about majors, course requirements,
pre-requisites, grades and graduation requirements.
- Assist students in course selection and class
- Monitor progress toward educational goals by meeting with
students to discuss the proposed academic program, current grades
and other performance indicators.
- Serve as a resource specialist to both students and faculty in
the development, coordination, and implementation of academic
advising services and support.
- Inform and, if necessary, refer students to other institutional
resources when academic, attitudinal, or other personal problems
require intervention. (Student Success Center, Academic Affairs,
Student Affairs, Counseling).
- Coordinate student advising within the assigned academic
- Coordinate and implement advising services at institutional
events such as open house and orientation
- Use institutional data to report on student success and
- Plan and coordinate educational events such as information
sessions and workshops.
- Plan and execute retention campaigns.
- Plan and execute call campaigns to build enrollment.
- Participate in on-going professional development.
- Assist in the development and distribution of advisement and
- Performs related duties as assigned or deemed necessary to meet
the Academic Advising goals on any campus.SUPERVISORY CONTROL: The
Academic Dean assigns work in terms of very general instructions.
The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with
procedures and the nature and propriety of the final results.
GUIDELINES: Guidelines include the academic catalog, the student
handbook, University System of Georgia policies and procedures, and
the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. These guidelines
require judgment, selection and interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK:
- The work consists of varied management and advising duties. The
diversity of student needs contributes to the complexity of the
- The purpose of this position is to coordinate and participate
in student advising services. Success in this position contributes
to the academic and career success of college students. CONTACTS:
- Contacts are typically with co-workers, other college
personnel, faculty, staff, students, prospective students, and
members of the general public.
- Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, to
resolve problems, to provide services, or to motivate or influence
people. PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or
table. The employee occasionally lifts light objects.
- The work is typically performed in an office. SUPERVISORY AND
MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY: May need to supervise student workers.
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree from an accredited
- Knowledge of admission, registration and degree program
- Knowledge of academic standards governing the student
- Knowledge of student recruitment and retention principles.
- Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs,
including the BANNER system.
- Skill in decision making and problem solving.
- Skill in training and coordinating the work of related
- Skill in interpersonal relations and in dealing with the
- Skill in oral and written communication. Preferred:
- Experience in higher education, working knowledge of
- Minimum of two (2) years' experience in a post-secondary or
professional advising position. COMPENSATION:
- This position is non-exempt (biweekly paid).
- Pay grade 16. TO APPLY: Application materials should be emailed
as a Microsoft Word or Adobe.pdf attachment to: with the subject
line "10018078 Academic Advisor I 3.24.2021". Application materials
are to include a resume, an MGA Staff application; a letter of
interest; and three professional references. Paper application
materials will not be accepted. Background checks will be conducted
on all final candidates. A Unit of the University System of
Keywords: Inside Higher Ed, Macon , 10018078 Academic Advisor I, Other , Macon, Georgia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!